Named for two Presidents of the United States John Adams, the Second President of the U. S. from 1797-1801, and John Quincy Adams, the Sixth President of the U. S. from 1825-1829.
Named for John Auten, who was the first person from St. Joseph County killed in the Civil War. He died on July 10, 1861 at the age of 22, while serving with Company I of the 9th Indiana Regiment. He was the son of Abram Auten of Portage Township.
Named for Andrew Anderson, who was the director of the first County Bar Association in 1873. He was a State Legislator in 1862.
A. Alden was one of the organizers of the Christian Church in Mishawaka in 1843, and R.S. Alden was one of the organizers of the Masonic Lodge in 1852.
William W. Brick was from Warren Township. The Brick’s were pioneers of St. Joseph County. He was the first Justice elected to that office and held many town and county offices. He located here in 1831. Abraham Brick was a prominent local attorney, born in Warren Township in 1860. He was elected prosecuting attorney in 1886 and served in the U.S. Congress from the 13th District of Indiana for several terms, starting in 1888. He also lectured on criminal law and pleadings at the University of Notre Dame.
Mark Brummitt was on the County Council in 1907, and elected County Commissioner in 1919.
Dr. Sinclair Darden was the head of the TB Clinic at Healthwin Hospital.
United States President Grover Cleveland. Twice President, the first term 1885-1889 and the second term 1893-1897.
Stephen Douglas, Abraham Lincoln’s debate opponent in the Great Debate, was born in 1813, leader of the Democratic party in Illinois, served in the House of Representatives 1843-1847, served in the Senate 1847-1861. He died in 1861.
Judge Reynolds Dunn, settled here in 1832, he gave Warren Township its name. He was County Commissioner 1833-1837, Assoc. Judge in 1837.
Lot Day Sr. was Sheriff from 1842-1846, County Commissioner from 1833-1842, and served in the State Senate from 1847-1850.
Thomas A. Edison, famous inventor.
Jacob Eaton settled in Clay Township in 1831. He was Clay Township Trustee for 17 years. He cleared the ground where St. Mary’s College now stands.
Noah Early was wounded at the battle of Chickamauga, he also fought in the battle of Stone River.
U. S. President Millard Fillmore, the Thirteenth President, he served from 1850-1853.
U. S. President Ulysses Grant served in the Civil War and led the Army to the defeat of the South. He was the eighteenth President, serving from 1869-1877. One of his vice presidents was Schuyler Colfax.
Moses Gordon came to Madison Twp. in 1871. His son, Martin Gordon managed Oak Grove Creamery.
Born in Ohio, but claimed Indiana as home. Benjamin Harrison was a U.S. Senator form 1881-1887. He was the twenty third President, serving from 1889 to 1893.
A. M. (Alanson) Hurd laid out and platted the Village of St. Joseph Iron Works, the first village organized in the County, now Mishawaka. Orlando Hurd was County Commissioner from 1835-1837.
Richard Inwood settled here in 1835 in Centre Township. He was the superintendent of the South Bend Iron Works, and once owned 400 acres in Centre Township.
Sam Ireland was an old and respected citizen of Mishawaka after settling there in 1831. He was the first Assessor of St. Joseph County. He was also the Penn Township Assessor and a Justice of the Peace. John Ireland was an Assoc. Judge in 1837 and a County Commissioner from 1832 to 1835.
Andrew Jackson was the Seventh President of the U. S. from 1829 to 1837. John Jackson was County Commissioner in 1831 and an early settler of Union Township.
John Kern was a U. S. Senator from 1911 to 1917. He was the Vice President nominee on the ticket with President William J. Bryan in 1908.
Peter Kline settled in Madison Township in 1846.
Charles Kelley settled in Madison Township in 1853.
An exception to the alphabet system in the County. Originally called Lehman road, named for someone with the last name beginning with “L”, but the County officials wanted to honor the thirty-second President Franklin Roosevelt and they already had James Whitcomb Riley, so Lehman bit the dust.
George F. Layton was on the first Board of Trustees of the Northern Indiana College. He was a member of the original St. Joseph County Historical Society.
David R. Leeper was a State Senator and a State Representative in the 1860’s.
Named for the fourth President of the U. S., James Madison who served from 1809 to 1817.
John Martindale was an early settler in German Township, a pioneer minister in the Christian Church and County Commissioner from 1832 to 1833.
William Miller settled in St. Joseph County in 1833, was a Justice of the Peace, served on the City Council, and was a State Legislator for 3 terms starting in 1844. William H. Miller was the Attorney General under President Benjamin Harrison from 1889 to 1893.
Harry S. New was a U. S. Senator from 1917 to 1923. He was also Postmaster General under President Harding and Coolidge, 1923 to 1929.
Robert B. Nicar was St. Joseph County Treasurer from 1851 to 1856. Edwin Nicar, the son of Robert, was a Captain in the Army and a County Clerk.
Andrew L. Osborne was a Circuit Court Judge in St. Joseph County from 1858 to 1870.
The fourteenth President of the U. S. Franklin Pierce served from 1853 to 1857.
William Patterson was County Recorder in 1837, South Bend City Clerk in 1845, Trustee of South Bend 1846, and President of St. Joseph County Bible Society.
Revolutionary War Patriot John Quinn
Josiah Quincy was a prominent American Patriot.
Francis Quarles was an English Poet.
James Whitcomb Riley, famous Hoosier Poet.
Benjamin Shively was born in Osceola Indiana in 1857, he was the proprietor of the South Bend ERA newspaper, a U. S. Senator from 1909 to 1916, and a U. S. Representative from 1884-1885 and 1887-1893.
Oliver H. Smith was a U. S. Senator from 1837 to 1843 and a U. S. Representative from 1827 to 1829.
Aaron Stanton was County Commissioner in 1831, and in 1830 was the inspector of elections in Michigan Township.
Gilman Towle was an early settler of St. Joseph County.
The tenth President of the U. S. John Tyler served from 1841 to 1845.
Dr. Israel Underwood. He and his wife were both doctors with a large practice.
Van Nuys Road
Frederick Van Nuys was a U. S. Senator from 1933 to 1944. He succeeded James Watson in this post.
James E. Watson was a U. S. Senator from 1916 to 1933, and a U. S. Representative from 1895 to 1897 and from 1899 to 1909.
Information collected from:
- Indiana and Indianans (2 Vols. 1919) by Jacob Dunn
- A History of Indiana (2 Vols. 1924) by John Dillon
- Indiana: The Hoosier State (1963) by Carmony, Nichols